In elementary school my friends and I made up a game of tag where when you were "it" you were a raptor and when you tagged someone they became a raptor too.Those who were it had to roar and hunch over as if they were one. We'd play till there was on person left standing and they were the winner.
I've been watching documentaries on dinosaurs and studying the anatomy so hopefully they look good! I was thinking of adding more to the raptors to make them more unique. Like mohawk looking spikes or something. Some videos and images portray them with those or feathers because of the bird relationship.
The plants are still pretty sketchy right now. I didn't want to get too caught up in details in case I should rearrange things.
I think I'm going to make the canvas longer like this so everything doesn't feel so cramped.


This looks good. I like the implied narrative and the variety of sizes & shapes. Fun expressions. It seems to need more canvas on the right side, but not so much on the left. You could leave it where it was originally cropped on the left side and just add all of that to the right, so the little guy has some space to run. I highly recommend doing a small value study or two (thumbnail size or slightly larger) to work out how to separate each figure from the surrounding elements using lights & darks, because there's a lot of things going on there. Your scene lighting can help separate the figures as you establish the light side & shadow sides, but also consider possibly using value to create separation like in those screen shots from "Prince of Egypt," maybe making the foreground dinosaur a dark-value silhouette that separates from the higher values in the middle ground of the piece (the play structure with the other two dinos). The background elements can be rendered in even lighter values to establish atmospheric depth and clarify the composition (swingset, trees, etc.).
ReplyDelete