There's a nice effect of soft light going on here, which can be hard to capture. I did a paint-over in a separate post so you can see some of the things I tried with the b&w version. I adjusted the proportions slightly to make the facial features a bit lower and added just a tiny bit of height on the top/back of the head. On an adult, the eyes should be right about 1/2 way from crown to chin. I didn't have your reference photo to work from, but I also tried to use value to emphasize the planes of the face and eye/eyelids as they emerge from the eye socket. I brought up the shadow values slightly, since they tend to go black in photographs, and did some softening work on the hair. I also added a bit of extra canvas at the bottom to strengthen the composition.
On the monochrome version you should try to have the nice cold grays emerge in some places, and other areas where the color can get really rich. So far it looks like the color & saturation are a little too evenly applied.
There's a nice effect of soft light going on here, which can be hard to capture. I did a paint-over in a separate post so you can see some of the things I tried with the b&w version. I adjusted the proportions slightly to make the facial features a bit lower and added just a tiny bit of height on the top/back of the head. On an adult, the eyes should be right about 1/2 way from crown to chin. I didn't have your reference photo to work from, but I also tried to use value to emphasize the planes of the face and eye/eyelids as they emerge from the eye socket. I brought up the shadow values slightly, since they tend to go black in photographs, and did some softening work on the hair. I also added a bit of extra canvas at the bottom to strengthen the composition.
ReplyDeleteOn the monochrome version you should try to have the nice cold grays emerge in some places, and other areas where the color can get really rich. So far it looks like the color & saturation are a little too evenly applied.